How to Have a Well Trained Dog Syracuse NY
6 years. Prior to starting my business I was a veterinary technician
White Plains, NY
East Elmhurst, NY
New York, NY
New Paltz, NY
APDT # 75687 ITC graduate May 2009
Over 10 years
Certified Pet Dog Trainer, Therapy Dog International evaluator, AKC Canine Good Citizen evaluator
How to Have a Well Trained Dog
There is nothing as wonderful as having a well-trained dog. They are excellent social creatures, less likely to annoy by jumping up on people or worse; biting them! These dogs are also able to keep themselves calm even under the most stressful situations.
Another great thing about well-trained dogs is that they are a lot more likely to stay with the same owner. Untrained dogs can quickly become frustrating and are often abandoned. It is an amazing statistic but the American Veterinary Medical Association has found that 96% of dogs that end up in shelters were never trained.
When you make the decision to train you’ll be setting important boundaries. This will increase how comfortable your dog feels around other humans. If you’re not sure where to get started there are many different dog-training programs and professional trainers to choose from.
Even though they are plentiful there are things you’ll want to consider before settling on a trainer. Asking friends and family for referrals is a great way to find someone you can trust. You might also come across a name or two that you want to avoid.
When you do find a trainer you’re willing to consider you should investigate their training method. There are different methods that different trainers use. It’s important that you feel comfortable with this method. If you’re unfamiliar with a particular method the trainer should be more than willing to answer why they use it as well as what the benefits of that method are.
Regardless of if you do find a trainer or decide to train your dog on your own, there are certain commands you need to cover. Socializing your dog is also extremely important.
- 1. Teach your dog how to deal with strangers. They need to realize that they will come across people they don’t know and that they should not react violently to these people. Taking your dog for walks around the neighborhood is a great way to socialize your dog.
- 2. In addition to humans, your dog needs to become familiar with other dogs. Try going to dog parks or a dog training class so they learn those necessary interaction skills.
- 3. Your dog also needs to learn how to walk at a steady pace while on a leash. This is one you can start as early as the puppy stage.
- 4. Crate training is a great way to make sure your dog will be able to stay at a kennel or slightly confined area when necessary.
- 5. Teaching your dog to sit is one of those basics that is incredibly necessary. In fact, learning to sit is usually the first thing new pet owners teach their dogs.
- 6. The down/stand command is another thing you need to teach. You’ll find that this helps them to deal with distractions and a busy environment better.
If you take the time to train your dog you’ll find many benefits. Just be aware that these simple commands will not get rid of all problems that might develop down the line. Training is something that should be ongoing and tailored toward the needs of your specific do.
When you have a well-trained dog you’ll have a pet that is fun to be around and that you feel incredibly close to.
Shop for discount dog supplies at I-Love-Dogs.com