» » »

Protecting Dogs Against Poison Syracuse NY

Poisoned pets in Syracuse can have their conditions degrade quickly, so it is imperative that you take them to the vet right away. The vet will initially make sure your pet’s condition is stable and will then seek to make sure the dog isn’t contaminated further. Your vet may need to induce vomiting with an emetic or to flush his throat and mouth with a stomach tube.

PETCO
(315) 454-3949
310 Northern Lights (Route 11)
North Syracuse, NY
Hours
Monday: 9:00am-9:00pm
Tuesday: 9:00am-9:00pm
Wednesday: 9:00am-9:00pm
Thursday: 9:00am-9:00pm
Friday: 9:00am-9:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am-9:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am-6:00pm

PETCO
(315) 449-0084
3150 Erie Boulevard East Suite #500
Dewitt, NY
Hours
Monday: 9:00am-9:00pm
Tuesday: 9:00am-9:00pm
Wednesday: 9:00am-9:00pm
Thursday: 9:00am-9:00pm
Friday: 9:00am-9:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am-9:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am-6:00pm

Pet World - Dewitt
(315) 445-9510
3649 Erie Blvd. E.
Dewitt, NY
 
Pet Depot
(315) 487-6533
3730 Milton Avenue
Camillus, NY
 
Petland Of Syracuse
(315) 752-0444
5701 East Circle Drive
Cicero, NY
 
PetSmart
(315) 468-1379
3553 West Genesee
Syracuse, NY
Hours
Monday - Friday: 9:00-9:00
Sunday: 10:00-6:00

PetSmart
(315) 446-6320
3401 Erie Blvd E
Syracuse, NY
Hours
Monday - Friday: 9:00-9:00
Sunday: 10:00-6:00

PetSmart
(315) 652-1627
3865 State Route 31
Liverpool, NY
Hours
Monday - Friday: 9:00-9:00
Sunday: 10:00-6:00

Ebeling's Pet Center
(315) 652-2329
4138 Route 31
Clay, NY
 
Pet Express Of Central Ny, Inc.
(315) 458-0852
7687 Frontage Road
Cicero, NY
 

Protecting Dogs Against Poison

Provided By:

The potential for poisoning in pets, while uncommon, is still something you should be aware of and know how to react to. Puppies are naturally curious and should be watched carefully in foreign environments or where there is the potential for poison ingestion. Pets can get poisoned in more than one way. They could eat or drink something that is directly or indirectly poison. An example of direct poisoning would be eating antifreeze. An example of indirect poisoning through ingestion would be eating an animal that has been poisoned (a poisoned mouse would be a perfect example). A dog could also be poisoned by being externally contaminated – for example by falling in some creosote. A pet could also inhale toxic fumes and have the poison absorbed into his bloodstream through his lungs.



If you do catch your pet eating something potentially toxic, restrain the animal, remove the object from its mouth and identify the poison. If the package has an ingredients list, secure that and call your veterinarian or poison center for advice on what to do next.


Identifying what poison your animal ingests is key to determining the treatment for the animal, so be sure to take a sample of the substance with you to the veterinarian and its container if possible too. Most rat poisons are color coded to tell you (or the vet) what category of poison the active ingredient is in. If you have the opportunity to bring in samples of your pet’s recent vomit or feces those could be helpful as well. If you dog is externally contaminated with a poison (such as creosote), do not let him lick his fur. Also, do not try and treat your dog on your own, bring them to your nearest vet or emergency animal clinic as quickly as possible.



Poisoned pets can have their conditions degrade quickly, so it is imperative that you take them to the vet right away. The vet will initially make sure your pet’s condition is stable and will then seek to make sure the dog isn’t contaminated further. Your vet may need to induce vomiting with an emetic or to flush his throat and mouth with a stomach tube. If the poison has been identified, a specific antidote may be an option (for example, atropine for insecticide contamination or vitamin K to help in the blood if there has been Warfarin poisoning). Specific treatments aren’t often available, so most of the time veterinarians just try to support the dog and keep his condition stable after they have stopped further contamination. They may have to give your dog sedatives if he is having fits or to maintain his body temperature. They may have to treat circulatory damage, give your vet intravenous fluids to help get toxins out of his body, treat shock, or make sure his renal function stays stable.



Poisoning is a tough situation to handle with your pet and it is often very hard to identify the poison ingested. Be sure to bring any urine, blood, vomit or feces samples you may have. In the sad case that an animal dies due to suspected poisoning, post mortems may show certain organ damage, but requires a lot of examination and are often costly.



Shop for discount dog supplies at I-Love-Dogs.com